Current Crisis in Education: Parenting Failure
“My mom is a crack head!” I laughed at Andre’s statement and took it lightheartedly, but as I heard more of his stories during idles times at my minimum-wage summer job, I discovered that they were the truth of his life and everything that happened to him in the past led him to where he stands today. Andre grew up with a single mom and doesn’t know who his father is. Growing up, sometimes his mom would not take him to school because she didn’t think school was important for him. In high school, his mom stopped buying him required textbooks for school and instead told him to start working, so he got a job at McDonald’s. Andre’s situation was the complete opposite of mine because in my family education is the number one priority; they didn’t even allow me to get a part-time job till after I graduated from high school. My parents immigrated to America from China to attend college and for the many job opportunities. My parents sacrificed summer family vacations so that my sister and I could attend a private school. Because of my parents’ great value of education, I learned to take my education seriously. Education is the most basic foundation a parent can provide for their child for a secure future. It’s hard for me to imagine being in a family where parents simply do not care about their child’s future, but such is the case of my co-worker at Subway, who was a high school dropout, because his mom would not buy the books that he needed for class. I take so many things in my life for granted, my education included, but I learned that there are many people out there who have not been as fortunate as I have been. Parents play a crucial role in the future success of their children. The values that a parent instills in a child carry on for the rest of the child’s life. The current crisis in education can partly be blamed on the lack of parental involvement in and concern for their child’s education. To fix the problem American parents need to instill discipline in their children Many parents are just not financially stable enough to spend
Fears...
-
I realize that its been a very very long while since I've posted an update,
close to a year and a half since I posted...sad really. I even stopped
using my...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment